Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Bottom Shelf

The only time I like to shop for groceries is when I'm hungry. It quickly morphs from a necessary evil to an exciting adventure. There's a lot I love about late night Walmart runs. Buying what you really don't need, having a contest with Trevor to see who spends less. I've figured out that whoever purchases the frozen chicken breasts typically loses. The rare encounter with an attractive member of the opposite sex sprinkled in there from time to time, but my favorite thing about the Walmart endeavor is about six inches from the ground, keep looking, a little farther down, about ankle height. Ah, yes, there it is; the bottom shelf. Collegiate best friend, home of the beat up and bedraggled. Where the deformed and naked find shelter.

It is a good day when a overdrafting college student stumbles upon the mountain of goodies on the bottom shelf. Its where they put the cheap stuff. Dented and crushed cans with torn labels for 10 cents and piles of Ramen that will cost you less than a tank of gas. A person could possibly buy a weeks worth of food for less than the cost of single text book.

There's something homey about the bottom shelf. I can't help but smile and say, "hey guys" when i look down at those cylinder shaped rejects. Its almost as if I can relate to the bottom shelf. If I were a canned good would I find myself on the bottom shelf? I sure hope so.

God shops on the bottom shelf. He just doesn't look there for a bargain or as a last result, that's where He starts. He seems to go after the broken and the beat up. I even think He might hope to find us there. Our God is a redeemer, and until we understand we're broken, redemption will avoid us. I find that God has favor with those who don't understand why God is so crazy about them. David is a guy whom God loved fiercely. The Bible accredits him alone with the phrase, "A man after God's own heart," but he seems to live life with the "who? me?" look on his face.

So here's to the bottom shelf. A place to find an amazing offer, maybe a place to get a picture of grace.

2 comments:

Megan said...

watch out for the dented ones, they may contain botilism and you could die!

Rachel said...

sorry i didn't get to change your spelling error. I love your and your bottom self..that could be taken somewhat inappropriately, but i don't care