Monday, February 05, 2007

One Minute, Forty-Five Seconds

First of all, props to my home girl Rachel for catching my spelling blunders. I honestly suck at spelling and I would be clueless to the fact if it weren't for BASS watching my back.

The first thing I do in the morning is fix a cup of coffee. I'm actually really good at getting out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off. I don't think that I'm actually awake, but I'm on auto-pilot. I wake up, make my bed, and head into the kitchen. I'm not aware of what I'm doing until I'm in the kitchen. I also think that it's impossible for me to speak until my first cup of coffee, and that brings us to the subject of this post...

Most of the time I have coffee left over from the day before, yeah I know gross, but I really don't notice in the morning. I poor a cup and put it in the microwave for a minute and forty five seconds and then I wait, and wait, an wait...do realize how long a minute and forty five seconds can last? It's incredible. It doesn't sound like much, but I've realized that I can accomplish a lot in a minute and forty five seconds. Its sort of become a game I play. I see how much I can get done in a minute a forty five seconds. One time I was able to get Tozer (our dog) breakfast (pour both the food and the water), change my clothes (I work outside early in the mornings so that's three layers of clothing), and even check my e-mail before the timer went off on the microwave. It's incredible.

I'm not sure if a minute and forty fives seconds feels like a long time just because I'm impatiently waiting for my morning "go juice", or if it actually is a long time. I always recieved poor marks for my time management skills in elementary school. Honestly I think its a horrible thing to test elementary school students for time management skills, can they even tell time? The only time management I ever understood were those paper chains you would make to countdown the days until Christmas.

I think that a minute and forty five seconds happens to be a good amount of time. I wonder how much could be done if I took advantage of every one minute and forty-five second interval. I would appreciate a lot more. Time with my friends, naps, beauty, face time with God. Jack Johnson probably had the same life altering experience warming up a cup of joe when he penned the words, "Slow down everyone, you're moving too fast." So here's to you Jacky J, and just imagine what would happen if I warmed up my coffee for two minutes a ten seconds.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

love the new layout..did you change in in that minute 45 seconds :) see you later today!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you make your bed right when you get up...

Unknown said...

If you did warm your coffee for two minutes and ten seconds you would have a little extra time afterwards where you could wait for it to cool to your normal temperature.