Monday, August 11, 2008

Me Being Me (pt. 1)

So, I've been hearing a lot about how long my bloggs are.  I am truly sorry, right from the bottom of my heart.  I've decided to break them up for those of you who can't stand to read more than a paragraph at a time :).  Here's the first of a series of something I've been thinking a lot about.  Hope it gets you thinking!

I’m really not a big fan Scrabble or crossword puzzles, but I love words.  I can remember a time when I would actually read through the dictionary for fun.  I don’t say this to present myself as smarter than you because most of the time I was looking up words that cause the male mind to snicker.  Come on, who hasn’t looked up flatulent in the dictionary?  If you haven’t, you most definitely should. 

But I really do love words.  They are incredibly powerful.  They can inspire and move us.  They can’t paint pictures and tell stories.  They can build people up and they can tear people down.  Words separate themselves from noise and raw sound in that they communicate meaning and truth.   Well, at least they should.  

There are certain words that seem to become less understood the more you hear them.  There are probably a lot of these words floating around for those of us who have been immersed in the Christian subculture for a descent amount of time.  These are the words that we glance over as we read the Bible, words that we throw around during theological debates, or have screen-printed on our t-shirts.  The sad, and very dangerous thing about this is that these words become just words.   It’s like they become so familiar to us that they lose their power and fall like dead leaves back to their one dimensional prisons. 

To be continued... 

No comments: