Sunday, January 27, 2008

Snooze You Lose

Rock Band. It brings people together. Maybe we should play it after communion. What's up with me and communion? Rock Band, you should play it, and hug someone, or just figh five them, but like you mean it.

So I'm feeling a little convicted. Go figure. That seems to happen quite a bit when I'm reading Scripture. The good thing about conviction though is that it brings hope, not guilt. Anyway. I owe the conviction to this little diddy of Scripture;

"And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."
Romans 13:11-12

I'm a little tired of compromising. Of putting this relationship with God and the purpose He has for my life on hold. It's almost like I hit the snooze button on what I'm going to do with my life. Don't we all kind of do that though? We're not ready to give Him all that we have, we're not ready to love Him with our entire being. I've heard myself and others say things like, "I'm young, I'm just enjoying myself." It's as if we believe that we're allowed a certain number of our years to live how we want to with no consequence then once we're out of college, have a job, maybe thirty or something, we will live our lives in love with God.

I just feel like we're waisting our time. I mean if we really believe that loving God is what we were created to do and if obeying Him is how we demonstrate that love, then why don't we do it? Its not a matter of being moral for the sake of just being good. Or trying to make yourself "ok", or being better than someboyd else, or holy-er than thoug, its a matter of loving God, and being loved by Him. Its like we're cheating on Him with all the crap this world has to offer.
I guess I just feel like its time to wake up. I don't want to find myself twenty years down the road saying things like, "I never thought I'd end up here."

I like what Donald Miller says, "Time, which was God’s friend, is now His enemy, and you and I are going to end with it soon. If you will lift a glass of wine with me, I would like to remember Him: Here’s to Christ for making us, to Christ for rescuing us, and to Christ, who gives hope for tomorrow.”

Here's to being awake. Here's to loving God and finding our purpose and meaning from being loved by Him. Here's to living life to the fullest, all that it could be, all that it should be. I'm tired of waiting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah....I am thrilled that you have realized something that I wished I had realized 20 years ago!!!
You have expressed my thoughts to a "tee" for 2008...."stop wasting time....be obedient....live like you are dying (because we all actually are) and abandon this world to live for His".